Trash collection and recycling in Norristown is contracted with J.P Mascaro. Questions or problems with your pick-up can be addressed to J.P Mascaro by calling 800-432-1616.
May 1 municipal-wide dumpster clean up event
As part of our renewed contract with Mascaro, in 2021 there will be two clean up events throughout the municipality starting on May 1. These events will have over a dozen Mascaro dumpsters placed all around town for people to get rid of bulk trash or other solid waste. There is absolutely no charge to drop anything off within these dumpsters. Collection time on May 1 is 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Please review this mailer sent out by Mascaro in late March that details bulk items we can collect. ELECTRONIC AND HAZARDOUS WASTE CANNOT BE DISPOSED OF IN THESE DUMPSTERS!
Dumpster locations (intersections):
E. Airy St and Arch St.
DeKalb St. and Elm St..
New Hope St. and E. Roberts St.
New Hope St. at Marshall and Oak streets.
Powell St. and E. Brown St.
Sterigere St. and Stanbridge St.
Swede St. and Chestnut St.
W. Elm St. and Astor St.
W. Washington St. and Hartranft Ave.
W. Washington St. (between Buttonwood and Hamilton streets).
Trash & Recycling Rules (effective April 1, 2021)
Here are some quick rules to help you do trash and recycling right:
- All trash must be placed in the brown wheeled cart with a secure lid. No loose bags of trash.
- No more than four containers allowed.
- Do not put your trash out more than 18 hours prior to your scheduled trash collection times.
- Do not leave your trash cans out more than 18 hours after it has been collected.
- Find a place on your property to store your trash cans (not in the alley or at the curb).
- Any loose trash must be picked up and deposited in your trash can.
- Yard waste collection- The SECOND SATRUDAY of every month. Use container or biodegradable bags, and no plastic bags.
- Bulk waste collection- The FIRST AND THIRD SATURDAYS of every month. Up to two bulk items (mattress, furniture, etc.) per household per pickup - four items for the month.
- Recycling- Please use the brown cart with the blue lid for recycling. Do not place recyclable items in plastic bags: place directly in the recycle can.
Do place trash in cans with lids no more than 18 hours prior to your regularly scheduled collection time.
Do not set cans out without a lid. They may get wet or cause litter.
Do not set plastic bags out alone. They can break and cause litter.
No hazardous waste is allowed. Visit the Montgomery County Website for information about hazardous waste collection events. Hazardous waste items include:
- Car batteries
- Motor oil
- Oil-base paints
- Other toxic and hazardous materials do not belong in the trash
A disposal ban in effect, whereby state law prohibits residents from putting covered devices such as televisions, desktop and laptop computers, monitors, keyboards and anything that connects to a computer out for trash collection. Visit the Montgomery County Website for a list of locations that accept TVs and computers.
Four Container Limit
There is a four container limit. If your trash is over the limit due to house, attic or basement clean-outs, you need to make special arrangements with J.P. Mascaro or another hauler to remove the trash for an extra fee.
Questions or problems with your pick-up can be addressed to J.P Mascaro by calling 800-432-1616.