- Planning & Municipal Development
Planning & Municipal Development
Generally, all zoning and planning activities within the municipality are guided by three critical planning documents: The Comprehensive Plan, The Zoning Ordinance, and the Subdivision/Land Development Ordinance (SALDO). The Comprehensive Plan sets forth the "vision" for the community as adopted by the Municipal Council, and the Zoning Ordinance and the SALDO implement that vision through regulations. You can access each document below by selecting the links provided below.
Norristown is looking toward the future without forgetting its past. While the future cannot be predicted, it can be prepared for not only by planners, but by the community as well. Norristown encourages civic engagement in the planning process to ensure residents have a say in planning decisions. In order to make zoning and planning issues more accessible to residents, interactive maps have been added to this webpage.
For a calendar of upcoming events, click here.
RFP- Fair housing program
The Municipality of Norristown’s Department of Planning and Municipal Development is seeking proposals for professional services to administer the Fair Housing Program.
The Municipality of Norristown is a recipient of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds. It is the policy of the Municipality to comply with Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 also known as the Fair Housing Act, and other applicable laws. The Fair Housing Act requires recipients of Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds to administer programs and activities related to housing and community development in a manner which affirmatively furthers fair housing. The Municipality has allocated $30,000 of its FY 2021 CDBG award to implement the Fair Housing Program.
The RFP detailing the scope of services is available upon request. Proposals are due no later than 4:00pm on Friday, April 22, 2022. For more information, or to obtain a complete copy of the RFP, please contact:
Municipality of Norristown
Department of Planning & Municipal Development
1700 Markley St., Suite 104
Norristown, PA 1901
The Comprehensive Plan explains the goals Norristown has set for itself to create a better community; one that is ready to meet the challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century. These goals include:
- Attracting and recruiting new businesses, offices and restaurants that will bring life to the municipality along with jobs
- Upgrade facades, storefronts and streetscapes in high volume areas
- Beautify the downtown area to attract new residents and business
- Encourage new development that improves Norristown’s role as a cultural destination
- Maintain existing walkable neighborhoods and preserve their historic character
- Make use of vacant or underutilized buildings to attract new development
- Improve transportation centers within the municipality to attract more businesses around these areas
For more information on Norristown’s Comprehensive Plan and the goals outlined within it, visit the Comprehensive Plan (PDF).
Riverfront Feasibility Study
Please read the following document to see about possible development opportunities along the Norristown riverfront. Riverfront Feasibility Study- Final, 2019.
Norristown is broken up into different use areas called "zoning districts." The zoning district your property is located in determines what your property can be used for. The purpose of the Zoning Ordinance is to guide development that is in accordance with our Comprehensive Plan, as well as guide development that is convenient and beneficial to all members of the community. According to Article VI of the Municipal Planning Code, zoning ordinances should reflect the policy goals of the statement of community development objectives, and they should give consideration to the character of the municipality, the needs of the citizens and the suitability and special nature of particular parts of the municipality. Zoning is also necessary to facilitate coordinated and practical community development and proper density of population. For more information on zoning in Norristown, visit Norristown’s Zoning Ordinance.
Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (SALDO)
Norristown’s Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (SALDO) contains regulations that include:
- Provisions for the filing, processing, review, and approval of all subdivision and land development plans
- Design standards and guidelines for the layout and configuration of lots, roads, open space, parks, public facilities and other physical improvements on property to promote development that is consistent with the Comprehensive Plan
- Engineering and technical standards that determine the manner by which infrastructural improvements are constructed.
For more information on Subdivision and Land Development, visit the Norristown SALDO.