On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA) was signed into law by Pres. Joe Biden. This $1.9 trillion bill provided funding for municipalities as an infusion of resources to meet COVID-19 pandemic response needs and rebuild a stronger, more equitable economy as the country recovers. Norristown will receive $20,140,216 in economic stimulus money through ARPA!
In mid-June 2022, the municipality received the second and final payment of the $20.1 million about funds received. Public meetings will be held on July 12 and 14 at the MCIU (2 W. Lafayette St.) at 6 p.m. each night to gather more input.
So far, council has approved the following funds for projects:
- $1.9 million- Stormwater Authority operations
- $1.2 million- General 2022 budget relief
- $1.156 million-skate park at Poley Park
- $737,500- new fire truck
- $675,000- sewer system evaluation
- $318,000- park equipment improvements (Bartash, McCann, and Simmons).
- $290,000-four police vehicles
- $133,284-Rapp Alley storm water installation
- $50,000-flood control gates and dam gauge.
Residents are asked to provide input here: https://norristownbuzz.org/en/projects/arpa-norristown
DOCUMENTS: July 2022 ARPA presentation
June 15, 2021 ARPA funds presentation.