Government offices in Norristown Municipal Hall will reopen to the public on Aug. 8.
As part of the project to completely renovate the 50-year-old government building at 235 E. Airy St., most administrative offices were moved to Logan Commerce Center at 1700 Markley St. in May 2021.
Municipal offices will be closed on Aug. 4 and Aug. 7 to accommodate the move back to Airy Street
Renovation of Municipal Hall was the largest capital project the municipal government has ever undertaken. The project replaced the building’s aging infrastructure with new HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems. The overall floor space of the building has increased substantially from 36,000 to 45,000 square feet by downsizing Council Chambers to create more second floor office space, and adding office space in the building’s attic. A new sally port was built for the police as an extension to the building. The parking lot in the back of the building was also rehabbed and a new glass-encased stairwell built into the back of the building goes from the ground floor to the third.
The new floor plans will help residents, business owners, contractors, and all other visitors with better customer service. Before the renovations, the three more active departments - Planning, Code Compliance and Finance - were separated between floors. Now, they will all be located on the second floor to emulate a “one-stop shop” for getting permits and paying for them. The Norristown Police Department will occupy the ground floor and the first floor of the building.
Visitors to Municipal Hall may now enter the building through the back parking lot, which was previously the entrance to the police station, and the front entrance on Airy Street.
While government offices will resume functions on Airy Street, public meetings (Municipal Council, Zoning Hearing Board, etc.) will continue to be at the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit at 2 W. Lafayette St. for the foreseeable future. (Some work to be done for the police station on the lower floors will require the use of the council chambers/caucus room in the interim.)
Public Works will continue to occupy the garage building behind Municipal Hall, and Recreation will continue to operate out of the Recreation Center at 1101 Harding Blvd.
The Norristown-based architecture firm Seiler + Drury provided architectural services for the project with Gordon H. Baver, Inc. serving as the general contractor.